As a clinician who’s been treating patients for over 42 years and very active in the community with educating the public on women’s health issues, I’ve heard a lot. I believe it’s important to have an honest dialogue with my patients and create a safe space for them to ask the tough questions. Education is crucial. Education for post-delivery women is even more crucial as it is a component that is currently lacking in the United States.
When patients come to see me for their first appointment, it’s common to hear statements such as:
Women have so many resources for support, education and care while pregnant. Once they deliver, most women feel as if they are left to deal with the recovery on their own.
One of the biggest joys in working with women, is being able to empower them with the information they are so deserving of. Over the years, I have realized the great need for a program specifically designed to support women, post-delivery, which is why I am so excited to have recently launched Postpartum Strong® – from the inside out.
The Postpartum Strong® program is very exciting, as it is currently the only program of its kind in the United States. Our clinic is so happy to be able to offer this service to women right here in the Richmond, Virginia and surrounding areas!
Postpartum Strong® – from the inside out, is a unique musculoskeletal program developed for women post delivery to regain muscle strength of their abdominal and pelvic floor muscles. Clinical research now supports rehabilitation after a normal or challenging birth or pregnancy to prevent incontinence, prolapse and/or sexual dysfunction. The components of the program are:
1. Individual screening which is an individual appointment
2. One monthly class offers basic education about the steps to regain proper posture, abdominal and pelvic floor strength, and to learn how to take care of your baby without breaking your back
3. Individual care with modalities such as heat, muscle energy techniques, ultrasound, laser, corrective posture, abdominal and pelvic floor supervised exercises, and neuromuscular reeducation to resolve pain, dysfunction, or just to regain muscle strength, coordination, endurance and timing to be the best you can be!
The interest and feedback in our Postpartum Strong assessments has been amazing and we have spread the word through the support of the physicians at West End Ob/Gyn. This is the inaugaral roll out of the Postpartum Strong program. Several patients have taken advantage of all components of the program.
Currently, we are offering:
– Monthly screenings at West End Ob/Gyn and at Women’s Health Physical Therapy
– Free educational classes at West End Ob/Gyn every 3rd Tuesday evening, at 5:30PM,
– Free educational classes, at our main office,WHPT, every 4th Tuesday evening, at 5:30PM
– Mommy & Me Pilates classes, by appointment
-Individual evaluation and treatment as needed to achieve the goals set by the patient and therapist
Published by Dr. Cora T Huitt
Cora T. Huitt, PT, DPT, BCB-PMD
~Thirty seven years of clinical practice, specializing in women's health for fifteen years.
~BS Degree in Allied Health Professions, Ohio State University, '72.
~Master of Arts in College Teaching (MACT) focus in Physical Therapy & Therapeutic Exercise, University of North Carolina, '76.
~ Doctorate of Physical Therapy, Alabama State University, 2010
~Attended multiple courses offered in Women's Health Physical Therapy, including Pelvic 1, 2, 3 Course in Women's Health Section APTA.
~Member of VPTA and APTA, Women's Health Section.
~BCIA-PMDB Biofeedback- Pelvic Muscle Dysfunction Biofeedback.
~Certified Pilates instructor, ProHealth.
~Affiliate member of the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
~Member of International Continence Society.
~Member of National Vulvodynia Association.
~Adjunct Clinical Faculty for student affiliation at multiple universities.
~Director of APTA Women's Health Residency since 2007, credentialed in 2008. (only other residency at Duke Unviersity)
View more posts
One thought on ““The party is over…now who’s going to help me clean up?””